Data entry can be time consuming work. Navision allows some shortcut data entry keys that can speed up the data entry process.
- type t to enter today's date in a date field.
- type mon (or equivalent) to populate the date field with the day of the week
- type y to enter the date range of the year when entering a date filter
- set the Work Date in Nav by clicking Tools, Work Date and entering the date you wish to use. Now siply enter w to populate the date field with that date.
Other shortcut keys
- F8 will copy the data into one cell with the data in the cell above
- Crtl+F8 will open the Zoom window and show each field in that table and the value for the record you are working on
- Shift+F8 will open the Sort window which will allow you to resort the data you are working on
- Ctrl + W allows you to automatically send the data you are viewing on the Navision screen to Microsoft Word
- Ctrl + E allows you to automatically send the data you are viewing on the Navision screen to Microsoft Excel
Many times I have wished there was an option to print a Dynamics NAV / Navision report to Excel but there are only a select few reports that come out of the box with this capability. I have, in the past, saved the report as HTML then opened that in Excel. This does work, to some extent, but often requires quite a bit of time consuming re-formatting and clean up.
I’m excited to say that we have become aware of a better option to pull a Dynamics NAV / Navision report into Excel. Save the report out of Navision as an HTML file and then open that in Excel as previously stated. From this point, save this file as a .csv (comma delimited) file. Open the newly saved .csv file in Excel and you will get the data in a much more manageable format with a lot less cleanup and re-formatting required.
Give this a try and let us know how you make out.
I have come across a few different situations where a user has printed computer checks out of Navision where the check printed fine, but when the user goes to post the payment journal an “out of balance” message appears and the journal cannot be posted.
Here is an example of a Payment Journal where the checks have been printed correctly and the Total Balance is zero.
When going to post this error message appears.
The reason for the error is because the data is not listed in order of Vendor No so
that when Navision goes through the posting process the balancing credit amount
line is not directly after the debit lines. To resolve this error without voiding the checks and rearranging the data, you can simply re-sort the journal by changing the sort option from the
default “Journal Template Name,Journal Batch Name,Line No.” key to the “Journal Template Name,Journal Batch Name,Posting Date,Document No.”
It’s early in the New Year, and a great time to evaluate your business software internal training plans.
Has it been over a year since you have implemented your Microsoft Dynamics NAV / Navision solution? If so, some of your staff would benefit from a refresher, or a “Question and Answer” session. What about re-assignments of your resources? You may have personnel who were originally trained in one area, but have since added another responsibility to their plate. Are you sure they have a full understanding of how to use the Software?
Here are some things to consider:
1. New hires who are trained solely by other users may be missing some important points that would be covered by a professional MS Dynamics NAV consultant. Ideally, this training is done with an internal manager alongside who can address any policy questions that arise while a MS Dynamics NAV consultant will ensure that all aspects of the functionality are fully explored.
2. Existing personnel who have taken on additional responsibilities or who have changed roles often self-train and would benefit from formal training. Do you know what they may be missing?
3. Devoting some time during the year for training will allow certain questions to be raised that might otherwise remain unmentioned (and therefore unresolved). Giving your MS Dynamics NAV users a forum to ask their questions is a great way to start the year!
Contact your BMI Project Manager to make a plan that works for you and get the most out of your business software.